Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Our Articles of Faith Reward System

For the past year or so, I've been trying to figure out a way to help my kids learn the Articles of Faith. Previously we'd work on 1 Article of Faith a month for Family Home Evening, but there was no motivation for them to work on them on their own.

As part of my New Year's Resolution to "work on my organization", we revamped our Family Home Evening schedule. For the past several years we followed the Primary Outline for Sharing Time, but we wanted to incorporate talks from General Conference too. So this year, our FHE schedule goes as follows:

1st Monday: Lesson from the Primary Outline for Sharing Time (OST)
2nd Monday: Lesson from a General Conference Address
3rd Monday: Lesson about an Article of Faith
4th Monday: Lesson from the OST
5th Monday: Our Choice

Since we're having a lesson on an Article of Faith a month, I decided to implement a reward system for memorizing them. I grabbed a #10 can, cute paper, and Mod Podge and went to work.



The kids can work on memorizing the Articles of Faith however they want. They can wait until our lesson on them each month, and then try to pass it off, or they can work on 1 (or more) a week. For each Article of Faith that they pass off, they can pick a treat from the reward can. And to make it easier on myself and my husband, we've designated Sunday afternoons as the 'pass off' days. That way we aren't bombarded every day of the week with someone wanting to pass one off.

So far this has worked wonderfully! The kids are excited about learning and passing off the Articles of Faith, and I feel more organized about it all.

4 comments:

the thrifty ba said...

i might even get around to learning them this way (i joined the church when i was 21)! thanks!

Miss Crafty Pants said...

Fabulous Idea! I think my kids will do anything for a treat! And I like that you've designated Sunday as the pass off days. Thanks for the tip!
-Erika

Nielson Shmielson said...

That is a great idea! We pick one each week that we say out loud before the prayer. We also use signed language too!

Kaysi said...

What a great idea!! I love it and the can looks great too. I couldn't have a can full of candy like that in my house, it would all be gone in a day, so I would have to make my husband do the rewarding :)
Kaysi