Sunday, June 21, 2009

Birthday Cake #2...

My baby turned 2 today, and the boy is obsessed with cars and trucks! I checked around at different craft stores for car cake pans, but decided that I didn't want to spend forever decorating the cake (been there, done that!).

Instead of making his cake into a car, I took the easy way out and used a cookie cutter in the shape of a car for my template. I just pressed it in, outlined the shape with frosting, and then filled it in with a star tip. For the wheels I used some black gel icing from a tube. Easy peasy! And it doesn't look half bad! **his name was covered for privacy**


On the side I just winged it and put wavy lines and dots of frosting.

My kids loved it...they kept telling me how cute it was. And my boy kept saying "Car" over and over as he pointed to it.

The point I want to make in sharing this is.....**you don't have to spend a lot of money on a cake from a bakery, and if you make it yourself, you don't have to spend a lot of time on it to make it cute! ** This cake took me less than 45 minutes to decorate, including the time it took to make and tint the frosting. I know I could have bought a cuter, more professional looking cake, but I think it means more to my kids to see me taking the time to make them a special cake for their birthdays. Atleast I hope it does!!

Try this the next time you need a cake. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly it will come together, and how cute it will turn out!

**Two birthdays down, one more to go! I hope you're not getting tired of seeing my cakes...I'll be sharing one more this week! Then I'm done with birthdays until September....

1 comment:

Deanna said...

The cake is adorable! My little boy would of loved it...he's getting a dog cake this year...cars would have been his #2 choice though. :)