Monday, July 1, 2013

Stake Girls Camp 2013


Last week I was able to go to my very first Girls Camp since I was 
in the Young Women's program as a teenager.  I was a bit worried for a few reasons, 
the main one being that I don't enjoy camping!  But we all got through it 
and had a GREAT time!

The theme for our Stake Girls Camp was:

CARS  
"Driving Standards for a Divine Purpose".

Each ward was given a car from the Disney Movie as their 'mascot', 
as well as a value from the Young Women's Program.

Our ward got 'Fillmore' as our car, and Faith as our value.  
I made this cute poster to hang up in our camp.  
(sorry...I blocked out our ward name for privacy!).


The highlight of camp (besides testimony meeting), was being able to do 
a service project for  Tiny Tim's Foundation for Kids.  
We helped sand and stain hundreds of wooden toy cars that will eventually 
be sent to kids all over the world.  The girls LOVED it!! 



Another highlight was participating in "Singing in the Trees."
It's a tradition that started several years ago in our Stake, and the girls 
look forward to it every year.  It is done at dark, right before our testimony meetings.  
Each ward gathers in a spot in the trees, and waits for their turn 
to sing a song (we sang "I Walk By Faith"), as we shine flashlights
into the trees.  I'm not explaining it super well, but it was a beautiful, spiritual moment, 
and was the perfect way to head into our Ward Testimony Meeting.

Instead of using flashlights for 'Singing in the Trees', our ward made Mason Jar Lanterns
to use.  They were super easy to make, and looked beautiful in the dark!
(HERE'S a great tutorial.  We used contact paper instead of vinyl, 
and electric tea lights instead of candles).



I was terrible about taking pictures of everything while we were there, but did get 
some pictures of 2 handouts that my secretary and I made for the girls.

This is the one made by my secretary.  She got the idea from HERE.



And here's the one I made (quote is from this talk, handout idea from HERE).


I don't have a file from my secretary, but if you'd like a copy of 
the 'Glow' handout file without the watermark, you can access it HERE!


We ended up having 20 girls from our ward attend Girls Camp.  
I loved being able to spend time with them away from 'real life'.  It gave me a chance 
to get to know them better, and to just have FUN together!

Can't wait until next year! 



5 comments:

Mandy Coffey said...

FANTASTIC job! I've pinned your hand outs- I'm sure they'll come in handy!


Mandy
Small Fine Print

johnson6 said...

I would love a copy of your glow stick hand out. What a great quote! My email is beckyjohnson@me.com

Thank you for sharing!

michelle said...

I would also love a copy of your glow stick hand out! Thanks!!
michellehodgson1@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I would love a copy of the glow handout. It is so cute and perfect for our girls. My email is salutmel02@gmail.com

Thanks! Melissa

Hill Family said...

Thank you for sharing!! It is perfect!