Monday, February 15, 2010

Rice Bags

My husband recently had surgery to repair a hernia, and the day after his surgery, he asked me if we had a heating pad. Well, we don't own a heating pad, so I did the next best thing. I whipped up a rice bag that he could warm up in the microwave! It did the trick for him, and was a big help in his recovery.

Of course, when our kids saw what I was making, they all requested one too.

There are lots of tutorials on how to make these, but since my husband needed one quick, I just made it up as I went. All I did was:

**cut 2 rectangles

**placed them right sides together and sewed, leaving an opening at the top

**turned right sides out and ironed them flat

**filled with rice

**sewed the opening shut

It was so simple, that my oldest daughter made 2 more rice bags all by herself to give to some of her friends at school! It was a fun project that brought some warmth and relief to those that I love the most!

I'm linking to:

The Girl Creative, Keeping It Simple, Making the World Cuter, Sumo's Sweet Stuff

4 comments:

the thrifty ba said...

i dont understand how you live w/o a heating pad. i would marry mine if i could!
but these are a way cuter alternitive! hope the hubby heals well!

Doty Family said...

these are our favorites. Cute, cute! I love to give them as gifts because they are super easy!

Kaysi said...

I remember having these when I was a little kid, they were awesome. I always remember burning myself too :). They didn't look nearly as cute as yours though!

Kellie said...

These would be awesome to make!! Simple enough that even I could do it!! Thanks for sharing!!